Job Location: Cary, NC
Role Value Proposition:
What you probably know about MetLife is that we are one of the world s largest insurance providers. What you may not know is that while we have global scale, we re also surprisingly nimble. So nimble that in three months our Global Technology & Operations group developed and implemented a new MongoDB/NoSQL application that aggregates data across 70 Legacy systems, storing 24 terabytes of data and handling 45 million agreements with 140 million transactions. It s like being at a start-up, only with resources to make sure everything is done right. Our work spans the spectrum - from Front End HTML5/CSS3 UI to highly-scalable cloud-ready applications to big-data predictive analytics - and everything in-between. We re looking for people to help us transform the customer experience in a collaborative environment and a culture of creativity. So, if you like being challenged and using cutting-edge technologies to create breakthrough solutions, with enough resources behind you to make sure you succeed; this is the place for you.
The purpose of this position is to provide database administration in a 7x24 production environment and is responsible for assisting with building, enhancing, and maintaining databases in support of applications across the enterprise. The resource in this position will handle database administration for SQL Server with a significant focus on continuous improvement and technology strategy. The role will provide opportunity to work with PDW appliance and Azure cloud environments.
• Understands and follows database security policies and procedures to ensure accurate data is added to the database and only authorized users can access the databases.
• Provides appropriate resources for business applications by performing capacity planning, workload modeling and prediction; provides enough resources for applications' short and long-term growth.
• Ensure the database management environments are updated with current stable versions of software products; maintain currency with operating system and support software; plan and implement major software upgrades; ensure change management procedures and methodologies are implemented and followed.
• Participate in establishing processes, best practices, strategies, and database management solutions including development standards, backup/recovery, quality control, DR/failover, monitoring, maintenance, metric reporting, optimization, improvement, automation, etc. for SQL Server.
• Team player, who is able to take leadership direction from Leads in delivering solutions
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- 2+ years of experience in database and database internals, with strong focus in SQL Server technologies; for example, experience in SQL Server versions 2012 and 2014, high-availability solutions, clustering, SCOM, SSIS, working knowledge of technologies impacting database solutions including storage and replication.
- Experience in Windows operating systems, with Scripting in Windows or PowerShell with Strong SQL & T-SQL skills, and experience in Backup & Recover and Performance Tuning
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or related field; or 5+ years equivalent work experience, as well as any applicable DBMS certifications.
- Preferred: Experience operating Microsoft data platforms in a cloud (eg, Azure, SoftLayer, Amazon) Database design and data modeling experience. MS SQL Server certification a major plus. PMP or similar certification.
Group Technology - Infrastructure Service Operations
Number of Openings
At MetLife, we're leading the global transformation of an industry we've long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we're dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
Requisition #: 41662